Saturday, March 31, 2007

Unemployed London man becomes Hindu goddess

An unemployed Tooting man has found work at last - as an Indian Goddess who thousands of Hindus believe can cure infertility. Pilgrims head to a remote jungle temple to be blessed by Steve Cooper, 32, from South West London. Surrounded by followers, Steve declared: “I love being here. I don’t miss anything about Tooting.”

Steve Cooper

He is regarded as a reincarnation of Bahucharaji, the patron of Indian eunuchs. He has been at the temple in the northern state of Gujarat for three months. Every time Steve walks through the local village, people flock to greet him, shouting: ‘Jay Bahuchar Ma’ - ‘The goddess is here.’

Steve Cooper

Steve calls himself Pamela. But his devotees have dubbed him Prema - Hindi for Divine Love. He said: “All my life I just didn’t fit. Now I’ve found my life. I plan to stay for good. I couldn’t leave now.”

Steve Cooper

Steve was living in a tiny flat in Tooting until deciding on his new career after Indian friends told him he looked and moved just like the ancient goddess.

Full story here.

1 comment:

arbroath said...

It just goes to show... It pays to have Indian friends!