Sunday, March 22, 2009

Student facing trial over writing on pavement in chalk

A university student is facing a trial for criminal damage after writing two civil liberties messages on the pavement in chalk.

Paul Saville, 23, a second-year sociology and criminology student at the University of the West of England, Bristol, was arrested, locked in a cell for two hours and forced to give DNA samples.

His "crime" was simply to write on a pavement "Liberty. The right to question it. The right to ask: "Are we free?" in protest over what he says in the "loss of civil liberties" in Britain.



Mr Saville has pleaded not guilty to a charge of criminal damage “under the value of £5,000” in Bristol, and is awaiting trial. He said: "Children use chalk on the streets for hopscotch and some cafes advertise with chalk on the pavement so I don't understand why they treated me like this.

"I don't think I have done anything wrong. I considered it to be a fun way of conveying my message. The whole reason I was writing in chalk was because I wanted to get my message across without causing lasting damage."

Police confirmed that Mr Saville has been charged and is due to appear in court next month. A spokesman declined to comment further due to the pending court appearance.

1 comment:

Andrew said...

no you are not free. if you moved to russia or even china you would have more civil liberties. one nation under cctv, freedom for none is what you have.