Monday, August 06, 2007

Smoker requests jail time to quit habit

A Des Moines woman has volunteered to spend time in jail in order to quit smoking.

Jodi Perkins said she's desperate to stop her 23-year habit.

Perkins said she has tried just about everything to stop, such as going to the doctor, using patches and chewing gum. She said nothing has worked.

Perkins said she called the Polk County Jail to see if officials would allow her to spend time there so she could get the nicotine out of her system.

"I want to quit smoking real bad. I can tell when I'm outside, I'm mowing and I'm doing activities it's getting harder to breathe. I'm still in my 30s and I can't catch my breath," she said.

Perkins said she offered to pay whatever fee might be required. She said she knows a lot of people would not understand her actions.

With news video.

No comments: