Sunday, January 04, 2009

Woman, 40, asked for ID to buy beer

When 40-year-old mum Karen Hamilton popped into the supermarket she did not expect to have to prove her age.

But staff at the Tesco store in Chineham shopping centre refused to sell beer to her, even though she had an ID card.

Mrs Hamilton, of Nursery Close, Chineham, said a young woman at the checkout insisted she needed proof that she was 18 or over. She said: “At first I thought she was joking when she asked if I was old enough.



“I gave the checkout woman my student card, which had my photograph and date of birth on it, but she said it was not a proper form of ID.”

It took a trip back home to collect her passport for the 40-year-old to be able to buy the beer.

David Nieberg, spokesman for Tesco, said the company does not accept student cards as a form of identification. He added: “All I can do is to apologise. The cashier suspected she was underage and she should take it as a huge compliment.”

1 comment:

Andrew said...

say no to this stupidity. vote with your wallets and tell others to do the same. when there business hits the skids they will have to re evaluate there silly policies.