Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Search on for worst 'dad dancers'

Fathers used to embarrassing their children with their dance moves are being urged to show off their skills in public - all in the name of art. Gallery bosses at The Lowry Centre, in Salford, are urging families to submit video clips in their search for the "most embarrassing dad dancers".

The top 10 will be given professional tuition and invited to take part in a summer family dance exhibition.

Footage of fathers dancing at weddings, birthdays - or just in their front room - should be uploaded to file sharing sites and sent to the gallery.



The 10 worst offenders will be invited to show their moves for a video at the gallery's Express Yourself exhibition, which runs until September.

Mr Simpson, head of galleries at the Lowry, said: "We're launching this competition because I am the archetypal bad dancing dad. I'm in my mid 40s, I'm about a stone overweight. I've got a couple of young kids that constantly want me to dance to Britney Spears. It's cringingly embarrassing but to be honest it's always good fun and I always enjoy it.

"So we thought a competition that would encourage dancing dads to get seen would be a great way for everyone to realise that dancing doesn't have to be formal, trained dancing."

No comments: