Friday, October 30, 2009

Man bitten by 2 poisonous snakes simultaneously

Sitting in the emergency room at University Community Hospital in Tampa John Agan remembers what he was taught in school about venomous snakes. "They teach you growing up that, red and yellow will kill a fellow, well it was definitely red, yellow and black with a white head," he said.

Agan said he encountered not one, but two different venomous snakes on Tuesday while staying at the Masters Inn in Seffner with his family.

Agan remembers taking his dog "Little Bit" out for a stroll, when suddenly his dog began barking at something. Agan went to see what it was. "I called 'Little Bit' and I made a step to my left and she ran around the dumpster, and as I turned to go back in I felt like a really hard pinch on my shin," Agan explained.



Agan believes he was first bitten by a pygmy rattlesnake, and when he looked down he said a venomous coral snake was gnawing on his right foot. "When I looked down I seen a coral snake on my foot just gnawing away and so I kicked it away and I ran into the house and called 911," Agan said.

The Tampa plumber was rushed to the emergency room and was given a dose of anti-venom for the rattlesnake bite, but had to wait several hours for coral snake anti-venom to be shipped from Miami.

While the 46-year-old realizes he survived a close call, but he still wonders why this rare attack happened to him. "Why me? I'm just curious is my body giving out a pheromone saying here I am come bite me?" Agan asked.

With news video.

No comments: