Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Tesco ask shopper to provide age identification to buy a slice of quiche

Christine Cuddihy, 24, was stunned when a checkout assistant refused to sell her the 51p piece of cheese and onion tart because “she looked under 21”.

In the end Miss Cuddihy, who was hungry, produced her driving licence in order to make the purchase.

She said: “The girl told me: 'You don't look over 21. I need to see some proof of age.' I told her I was certain the proof of age laws do not apply to quiche but she just said: 'We have to be really strict now and this applies to quiche bought over the counter.'


Photo from here.

''At first I thought she was joking but her face was deadly serious. I didn't quite know what to say. It was very embarrassing, what on earth is dangerous about a slice of quiche?

''There was nothing suspicious about me and it's not even like I was buying a whole quiche to binge on.”

Tesco have apologised and said there was no reason why she was asked to prove her age when buying quiche, either over the deli counter or the pre-boxed variety.

No comments: