Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Man in hospital after rare wombat attack

A man who survived last year's deadly bush fires in Australia is recovering in hospital after falling victim to a rare attack by a wombat.

Bruce Kringle, 60, was pulled to the ground by the animal and bitten on the legs and arms after apparently stepping on it by mistake.

He escaped after killing the wombat with an axe.



Animal experts said it appeared the wombat had been suffering from mange, which had made it irritable.

Wombats, furry marsupials unique to Australia, are one of the country's most endearing native creatures. They can grow up to 1m (40 inches) in length and weigh up to 35kg.

Geoff McClure of the Department of Sustainability and Environment said wombat attacks were extremely rare, but that the animal in question could have been made aggressive by mange, caused by mites on the skin.

4 comments:

arbroath said...

35kg, nuh uh, I can tell you now I have run over one well over 120kg (I had to drag it, I couldn't lift it). 

arbroath said...

"the wombat had been suffering from mange, which had made it irritable"

I would guess that stepping on it didn't help any, either.

arbroath said...

Thats like being beat up by Bambi.

arbroath said...

I had no idea wombats could get so big. I thought they were slightly larger than gophers.