Monday, May 24, 2010

Woman loses breast to spider bite

A Paulding County woman remains hospitalized after a brown recluse spider bite forced doctors to remove her breast. Victoria Franklin said that she first noticed lumps on her left breast on Easter Sunday but didn't think much about it. She began feeling worse that week, and by Friday, couldn't stand the pain.

"My breast had turned black and it got so big, I couldn't even fit it in my bra," Franklin said. "I woke up in excruciating pain and the smell was so strong I couldn't do anything but call my friend and say, ‘Please come get me.' "



By the time Franklin got to the emergency room, gangrene had set in and the breast had to be removed. She found out that she had lost her breast when she woke up from an 11-day coma at Wellstar Windy Hill Hospital. "I didn't flip out," Franklin said. "I was glad to be alive."

Franklin urged others not to wait to seek treatment for spider bites. "I would have never known in a million years that a spider could ever do this much damage," she said.

2 comments:

Gizz said...

Brown recluse spiders are very dangerous.  This is awful.  But at least she did not have breast cancer.  My prayers are with her and her family.

so said...

that is such a scary story :(