Thursday, June 17, 2010

Hospital refuses to see cancer sufferer because he's 'dead'

A cancer patient was told by a health line operator he could not book a hospital appointment – because he was dead. Alan Campbell, 63, has undergone three operations to treat skin cancer on his cheek and nose in the past six years.

When he started suffering from throat pains he became worried the disease may have spread so visited his doctor. But after his GP gave him a code to arrange an appointment with the NHS Choose & Book system, a telephone operator informed him he could not set a date because their records showed he was 'deceased'.



Mr Campbell, of Bay Street, Little Harwood, who has also survived a stroke and a heart attack, said: “I got a letter with the reference and rang on Saturday. I was told I could see a consultant on June 29. “But then they said, 'Sorry, we can't give you an appointment, our records show you are deceased'. “I said you're joking, I'm talking to you aren't I?'

“But they said 'you'll have to go back to your GP to get it sorted out'. I couldn't believe it. I was flabbergasted. I'm not one for complaining, but when somebody says you're dead it's not on.” NHS Blackburn with Darwen Teaching Care Trust Plus has now apologised for the error.

2 comments:

Foreigner1 said...

- I want you to cure me.
> No you don't.
- I beg your pardon??? I want to get cured!!!
> .... Nope.
- ... ???
- But if you do not want to cure me, I'm going to die!
> Impossible- It says here in my computersystem you're already dead and the system never lies. And you cannot die twice on us now can you? So stop bothering us and be dead in silence!

:-P :-D :-P

Insolitus said...

- I want to schedule a doctor's appointment.
- Computer says No.