Sunday, June 13, 2010

Snapping turtle nearly takes off reporter's nose

CBS 2's Tony Aiello learned that lesson Friday as he handled a female snapping turtle for an assignment.

The turtle lurched its neck out, reared back, and tried to take a snap at Aiello's nose. "I'd like to think I have a 'nose for news,'" Aiello said. "I'm glad my nose survived in one piece."



Audubon Society turtle expert Richard Anderson gave Aiello a lesson on how to safely pick up and handle the turtle. As Aiello taped an on-camera stand-up holding the reptile about chest high, the turtle got testy, reared back, and snapped at Aiello's face.

"I knew the creature walked slow, but snapped quick," said Aiello. "I sure found out just how quick. No wonder snapping turtles have been around for more than 50 million years. They know how to fend for themselves."

1 comment:

Ratz said...

I've had a pet terrapin for about the last 25 years and though they're cute, they're also quite staggeringly vicious.  Someone (who you wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley) was pet sitting it for me and apparently it thought "I'll have you!" and took a lump out of him.