Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Sexsomniac terrified of going to bed in case he attacks

A man cleared of sexually assaulting a woman in his sleep became terrified of going to bed because he fears he could attack someone else. Darren Greenwood walked free last week after a jury accepted his defence that he had the rare medical condition sexsomnia. It meant Darren, 33, had no control over his actions or knowledge of groping the scared girl as they both slept.

"I used to be frightened of going to sleep in case something happened. But I have learned to deal with it. I know what symptoms to look out for and do everything I can to take factors out of my life to stop me doing anything like that again," he said. Drink and stress make the condition worse.



Father-of-one Darren's heart goes out to his 21-year-old victim. "I apologise to her. I understand what she must have been through. I feel really bad for her," he said. Darren, of Bethnal Green, East London, had just met the girl when she stayed the night at his home. She woke to find him touching her. He insisted he was "oblivious" to what happened.

A medical expert backed Darren in court. And the prosecution's expert also agreed with the diagnosis of sexsomnia. But Darren, who has a history of sleep problems, warned real sex attackers not to claim sexsomnia. He said: "You will get found out. You cannot just make this up."

No comments: