Thursday, March 24, 2011

Dog found in house a month after fire

A lucky dog will soon return home with her owner after a terrifying ordeal. Lola, a long-haired dachshund, disappeared after a fire at her owner’s house last month. The fire in Hyde Park caused severe damage to the house. After the fire, her owner couldn’t find Lola and believed the dog had either died or run away. But everything changed on Monday when her owner went back to the burned house. “There was not one day that went by that I didn't think about her, that my eyes would tear up - I missed her so much,” said Terisa Acevedo.



Terisa Acevedo describes her feelings of trying not to give up hope of finding her beloved dachshund, Lola. On February 23, a fire destroyed nearly everything she owned, and she hadn't seen any sign of her cherished pet. Then Monday night, she came back to the house because her car alarm was going off. “We came here to turn it off and I just stood on the front porch right there,” said Acevedo.

Then all of a sudden there were signs of life. “I just hear scratching at the door. And I called out my dog’s name and she started crying and I couldn't believe she was in the house for almost a month. Like, it's crazy,” said Acevedo. Starving and cold, Lola was ready to be rescued, “I couldn't believe it. She was hugging me, and I was hugging her, and I was so excited,” said Acevedo.


YouTube link.

Acevedo rushed Lola to Angell Memorial Hospital where the pup was checked out and given an IV for nourishment - and the staff was amazed. “It's something I’ve never seen before. And this I would categorize if she was my dog - miraculous,” said Dr. Anya Gambino. The doctor says Lola's in good health considering surviving a fire and 27 days trapped in the house - no burns, or any signs of smoke inhalation.

No comments: