Monday, March 14, 2011

Family find Jesus in a tree

The Norton family says an image of Jesus is engraved in a tree in their front yard, right where a limb once was. "I noticed the hair and then the beard and then it came together," said 12-year-old Bella Norton. "I think that is Jesus," said Bella's mother, Lamya Norton.



The family lives along Youngblood Street in McLean. Lamya said she had a tree trimmer cut the branch about six weeks ago. "It turned white," she said the image appeared gradually. She said her husband noticed it first weeks ago. She didn't want to believe it, but on Ash Wednesday, she looked out her dining room window and saw it clear as day. "It was a little emotional for me," Lamya said.

Lamya's mother, Marion Alany, used to own the house before selling it to her daughter. Alany said the tree has always been there, and now she believes Jesus has too. "I had breast cancer," said Alany. "But everything is fine and I'm doing well...There are bigger things in life, and just to go with the flow."



Lamya is now sharing her discovery with her six children. "It's a sign that we're all safe and it's, everybody is loved in our family," said Bella. Norton says she even called her priest. "Of course, my priest reminded me maybe it's a reminder you should be coming to church more," she said.