A humble doormat in Bedfordshire has been handed an eviction notice and risks losing its spot outside a flat. The doormat located in Albert Street, Bedford, was adjudged to be a fire hazard by Bedfordshire Pilgrims Housing Association (BPHA) - the body which runs the two-floor apartment block.
Renter of the flat in question, Lubin Reyes, a 37-year-old currency broker, discovered warning tape across the doormat urging him to 'move it or lose it'. Mr Reyes, who has lived in the first floor apartment for more than a decade, said: 'Someone is being paid to walk around and do this. It's ridiculous. I can't understand what they are thinking, it my doorstep and my doormat.
Photo from SWNS.
'I need to wipe the soles of my shoes dry or I might fall over in my house then that would be health and safety issue. It's right at the end of a corridor so its not like people will be rushing past it. It's about one centimetre high and made of rubber. It had "move it or lose it" written on it, that's like a threat.
'It's like they are saying don't mess with us but it's only a doormat. I was very shocked that they would act in this way for something as minor as a doormat.' BPHA says it stands by the decision and claims the doormat could trip people in case of a fire. Mr Reyes, however, will defy the order plans to keep the mat.