Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Shop refuses to sell great-grandmother, 92, alcohol without ID

A great-grandmother has blasted shop staff after they refused to sell her alcohol at the age of 92 – because she had no ID to prove she was over 18. Diane Taylor was stunned to be asked for proof of age when she asked for a bottle of whisky from her local One Stop Shop. The great-grandmother-of-three produced her over-60s bus pass, an OAP card and even her pacemaker certificate – but was still turned away because she could not provide a passport or driving licence.

It was the first time that the pensioner, who was born in 1919 turned 18 in 1937, has ever been asked to show ID when buying alcohol. Grey-haired Diane, a mother-of-two from Harlow, Essex, said it demonstrated a ”ridiculous” and ”offensive” lack of common sense. She said: ”I asked the girl behind the counter to repeat herself three times, I just couldn’t believe what I was hearing, I thought it was a joke.



”I can understand shops being strict with all the youngsters buying booze but surely there’s a difference between a 92-year-old and someone of 18. I ended up storming out in indignation. It is just ridiculous to ask someone of my age to prove they are an adult, I find it offensive. I have never been asked for ID before in my life but then I turned 18 in 1937.”

”I don’t see how anyone could look at me and think I needed to prove my age and I don’t have a driving licence anymore or a passport.” A spokesman for One Stop Shop said the store had to enforce a strict ‘no ID, no sale’ policy or risk losing their licence. He said: ”Although we are very sorry for the inconvenience caused, staff at the store are required to ask all customers for ID as a condition of its licence to sell alcohol.”

8 comments:

Brixter said...

It's her fault. She should have brought her mother to buy the alcohol for her.

SteveC said...

On of my pet peeves is the severe lack of common sense in mindless rules. I hope the OAP's rally around and boycott this shop.

Miss Cellania said...

There must be a lot of adults of all ages who have no driver's license or passport. Other forms of ID should be acceptable.

Miss Cellania said...

When I opened a bank account for my daughter, they required two forms of ID for her. She's only 14, so we used her birth certificate and certificate of naturalization. Their computers did not have naturalization down as an acceptable ID because apparently no one had ever used one before. It took the bank president to override the computer and accept it.

SteveC said...

I am all for stopping under age drinking but if a person is obviously over the legal age, an ID shouldn't even be required.
The shop is being completely ridiculous.

Anonymous said...

All forms of bureaucratic stupidity in modern society can be traced back to lawyers.

Insolitus said...

Luckily there was no real harm done, other than to the One Stop Shop which lost a customer, she can just go back to the place from which she usually buys her alcohol.

Anonymous said...

One thing no-one seems to have noticed is...IT'S A CONDITION OF THE LICENCE TO SELL ALCOHOL THAT THEY ASK FOR ID FROM EVERY CUSTOMER! If they don't, they lose the licence to sell drink. They may have been selling to under age drinkers before and they have to ID everyone. I used to work for a shop that sold items restricted to over 18s. If I sold against the store policy, I was the one who got sacked! The customer had nothing happen to them.