Monday, December 19, 2011

Church defends controversial billboard

Saint Matthews in the City church in Aukland, New Zealand is defending its choice of a billboard, which depicts the Virgin Mary looking at a pregnancy test with concern, after it was ripped down yesterday morning. Religious leader Arthur Skinner drove from Whangarei yesterday morning to lead a protest against the billboard, and ripped off the offending section. The protesting group calls itself Catholic Action Group.



"Even people who aren't Catholics know instinctively you don't attack the Blessed Virgin who gave us the savour of the world," said Skinner. "Half the world is celebrating Christmas at the moment, and to see this at this time is an absolute abomination. The blessed virgin doesn't need a pregnancy test, she knew she was pregnant, she agreed to it and she would have been full of joy to know that she had conceived our lord."


YouTube link.

But Glynn Cardy, Vicar at St Matthews, said that the billboard was not designed to upset people, rather it was designed to communicate a message and get people talking. "[Mary] would have been accused of having an illegitimate child, she was a poor young woman.



"It's really asking people to remember, coming into Christmas, that this was a woman of tremendous courage and faith, that she was not some plasticised icon, somebody who doesn't have human feelings." Cardy has not decided yet whether to replace the billboard, but says he may not bother. Skinner freely admits he is guilty of vandalising the billboard. "If they want to arrest me then so be it," he said.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Even people who aren't Catholics know instinctively you don't attack the Blessed Virgin who gave us the savour of the world," said Skinner.

How utterly provincial. Hilarious! Even without the spelling error.

Ratz said...

I hope the nutter gets sued for vandalism.

shak said...

@anonymous - I may be missing something, but I don't see a spelling error. If you are referring to "Savour," that is how it is spelled in England. You have to realize that this blog comes from England. Get yourself some education.

Insolitus said...

I hope they give the wannabe martyr and delusional idiot what he wants. Also, restore the billboard.

@shak, the few times I've tasted Jesus, he's been actually quite bland.

Anonymous said...

@insolitus I lol'd :)

Ratz said...

Though it's called nothing to do with Arbroath, I'd still assumed that since Arbroath was in Scotland, so was the poaster. Arbroath: From where do you post OOI?

WilliamRocket said...

I am, as always, stunned like a fish that has been whacked against the side of a truck, when I am reminded, as I am now with the comments of Skinner, that people who are allowed to drive cars on the same roads that I drive on, actually believe that a huge bunny made of gas came down from the clouds and put his babies inside a woman who was a virgin and that one of those babies popped out of her hyman protected vagina and became a carpenter.
Unbelievable !
The fact that he was able in later life to walk on water, be killed and come back to life, cure leprosy and have sex with prostitutes does not surprise me as I can do those things too.
God ! What a load of bullshit.
There is more chance of a elephant nosed creature with 17 arms who has been coloured blue by a Jewish child in a creche being the creator of the planet I live on.

arbroath said...

Hey Ratz, I answered this in previous comment from you not long ago, although I can't find it now.

I've also posted an explanation here a few times over the years.

So here goes again.

My sadly departed dad was born and brought up in Arbroath where he lived until he was sixteen, when he took a boat to Calcutta where he then spent the next three years.

After returning to the UK to serve his National Service, most of it spent in chokey, I believe, he met my mother, then spent most of the rest of his life working as an expat ... all over the world.

I don't really come from anywhere. I was born where they happened to be that day and had a somewhat transient childhood.

However, I spent many school holidays with my grandparents in Arbroath, and it's a place very close to my heart.

Still have loads of relatives there.

So that, kind of, answers your question. :)

shak said...

@Insolitus - I didn't savor the taste, either.

shak said...

I have to concede. It is, indeed, misspelled. Sorry Anonymous...whoever you are.

Ratz said...

Arbroath: Thanks for that! If you posted that previously, sorry, I guess I didn't return to the appropriate comment to find it.