Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Woman gives birth after falling through kitchen ceiling

A pregnant woman who fell through her kitchen ceiling didn't break a single bone – but immediately went into labour. Jo Tointon, 37, of Sherwood, Nottingham, was 35 weeks pregnant when she crashed through her bathroom floor and fell ten feet into the kitchen. She said: "We were renovating the bathroom for the arrival of the baby and there was nothing but plasterboard and joists and I must have missed a step and fell through to the kitchen.

"I landed on the biscuit tin and my two-year-old son, Ollie, came running in and started screaming. I thought I had broken my back because I couldn't move, but it turns out I was just winded. As soon as the paramedics got here, they asked me if I was OK. I was shaken and then felt as if my waters had broken, so I turned to them and said, 'One way or another, I think I'm going to have a baby today'."



She was then rushed to the Queen's Medical Centre. Mrs Tointon said: "It was frustrating, because I knew I was all right and I just wanted to make sure the baby was all right, too. At this point, I didn't know whether the baby had been hurt in the fall." Remarkably, Mrs Tointon, of Mapperley Street, suffered only slight bruising.

Her baby son, Eddy Austin, was delivered by Caesarian section at 1.10am on June 2, weighing 4lb 11oz. Mrs Tointon, a senior office manager for fundraising company GoGen, said: "He did develop a lung problem and it was really touch and go for a while but today was the first time I was able to give him a cuddle. I held him for two hours and it just felt wonderful. The baby is still in intensive care in the neo-natal unit and I haven't been able to take him home yet. And I still don't know how what state the bathroom, kitchen, or biscuit tin are in!"

No comments: