Sunday, July 14, 2013

Woman tore Achilles tendon in seagull attack

A woman has torn an Achilles tendon while trying to escape a seagull attack. Amanda Goodrum, who lives and works in Great Yarmouth, said she tripped while fending off the bird.

She says "something needs to be done" about the birds, which market stall holders say have been stealing chips and doughnuts from people. Ms Goodrum, who works in a shop, said the birds' behaviour was "out of control". She said she was attacked on her way to buy a pint of milk.



"This seagull swooped off the roof at me," Ms Goodrum said. "I put my hands up to wave it away. I turned around and he came from the other side - he was about two inches away from my face. I turned around again, panicked, ran and went straight on the floor. I couldn't feel my foot.

"The pain is really, really bad." Ms Goodrum said she could be off work for up to 10 weeks because of the injury. Great Yarmouth Borough Council said it would consider reintroducing signs asking people not to feed birds.

No comments: