Thursday, March 06, 2014

Man sues after choking on live fish at haunted house

A lawsuit filed against the operators of a haunted house in Talbot, Tennessee alleges a man was hospitalised for four days when he choked on a live fish. Cameron Roth claims the Frightmare Manor should not have allowed people to eat live fish without medical supervision.

Roth is suing Tennessee Community Enrichment. dba Frightmare Manor, American Strategic Holdings LLC and "Frightmare" overseer Charles Christopher Wooden in Davidson County Circuit Court, alleging negligence, liability, emotional distress and fraud. Roth claims he paid $15 to compete in Frightmare Manor's "'Eat Something,' 'Drink Something,' and 'Do Something'" challenge, in which he was "forced to eat" two live bluegills in October 2013.

However: "Frightmare failed to remove any of the spines from the bluegill fish," the complaint states. "In his attempt to eat the two fish within the time constraint, Mr. Roth began choking as the first fish became lodged in his throat." The defendants did not have any emergency medical staff on hand and their employees did not seek emergency medical assistance while Roth was choking, according to the complaint. Other patrons came to Roth's aid and called 911.

"The defendants willfully and recklessly failed to take necessary safety measures before Mr. Roth and other participants entered into the challenge," the complaint states. Roth also claims the defendants were negligent in requiring participants "to eat something that was inherently dangerous to consume," such as live fish "with all spines attached." Roth was taken by ambulance to a hospital where he received emergency medical treatment before being transferred to a new hospital, where he spent four days "including two nights in the intensive care unit," according to the complaint. Roth is seeking $150,000 in compensatory damages and $400,000 in punitive damages.

No comments: