Saturday, March 15, 2014

Rescued puppy credited with saving family's life two weeks after adoption

A puppy who was adopted from the Michigan Humane Society is credited with saving the lives of his new family members. Hunter, a 3-month-old Husky-mix alerted them to a gas leak at their Grosse Pointe Woods home in the middle of the night, hours after a burner was inadvertently left on enough to emit gas, but not enough to light it.

Hunter, who was adopted just two weeks prior, woke his adoptive mother, Jill McLarty, by whining non-stop. Thinking that Hunter needed to go outside, Jill let him out. She was surprised that Hunter simply sat outside and continued to whine. Jill let him back in and brought the pup back into the bedroom, where she and her husband were sleeping.

YouTube link.

Hunter wouldn’t stop whining and eventually began running in circles in the hallway before leading Jill into the kitchen. When she turned the light on, she saw Hunter sitting next to the stove, and noticed that one of the gas stove burners was on low, without a flame, causing gas to leak into the house.

The McLartys estimate that the gas had been on since they had cooked dinner, nearly six hours before Hunter woke them up. “He is the first dog we ever adopted and I would recommend it to anybody,” said Tim McLarty, Jill’s husband. McLarty said the family nearly opted to adopt Hunter’s sibling, but the puppy won them over at the first glance. He said he strongly believes that decision saved his family. “As cliché as it sounds, the life you save may save yours,” he added.

No comments: