Friday, June 27, 2014

Sussex police request that people spotting leopards only call 999 if they fear being attacked

A dog walker dialled 999 to report seeing a leopard at a beauty spot in east Sussex. Dianne Lonnon was walking her terrier-collie cross called James in Cantercrow Hill, Denton, near Newhaven, when they came across the “spotty brown coloured big cat” just in front of her. Mrs Lonnon, 66, said: “I was just yards away. It was in front of us and looking away so I don’t think it saw us and I was just praying it didn’t turn round.

“I was just hoping the dog didn’t bark. It was walking in front of us and just walked away. We were heading towards it so I turned around and hoped it didn’t smell my fear. I didn’t even look behind me I was so scared. Then I ran home with the dog and phoned 999. They told me I had to call the non-emergency number and were asking me lots of questions like what shape its ears were and whether it was bigger than a Labrador.



“Its tail was right up and I can’t remember what its ears looked like because I was so scared and keen to get out of there. I’ve been on safari twice and it looked just like a leopard. I saw it long enough to know it was definitely a cat. It was right in Denton village. I have seen lots of people riding bikes and up there with kids and I’m terrified. I just wanted to tell everyone it could be out there.”

A spokeswoman for Sussex Police: “A sighting of a large brown wild cat with lines on its tail was reported to police on Sunday at 9.44am by a dog walker who had spotted it in a field north of St Leonards Road, Newhaven. The sighting has been noted by the wildlife officer for the area.” She added that if anyone spots a suspected leopard or other big cat they should call the 101 police non-emergency number. But if you are being attacked or in fear of attack call 999.

No comments: