Sunday, February 15, 2015

Council's free bin prize caused man to giggle

A man said he had a giggle after finding out he had won a free bin in a prize draw after filling out a survey for his council. Cherwell District Council entered people who gave feedback on its environmental work into the draw.



Andy Burgess, 37, from Kidlington, Oxfordshire, can opt for an alternative prize of five rolls of food waste bags. He said: "I felt a little excited when I saw I'd won something, and then I read it and had a laugh and a giggle." The congratulatory letter reads: "Thank you for sharing your views and helping us to gain valuable insight into residents' views of the services we provide."

Mr Burgess did not know he was in the running for a prize. He said: "On the top of the envelope it said 'prize winner' so I thought it was probably junk email - some rubbish, phoney letter saying I'd won something. But as I opened it I saw it was from the council and thought 'Oh my God, it could be real, what have I won?'



"Having a month off my council tax would have been nice, or Amazon vouchers, but in its way the bin is saving the planet so it's a good thing." Cherwell District Council said the prize draw was a bit of fun "with a serious message". Mr Burgess said he is likely to choose the bin for his prize, as opposed to the caddy liners. He will ask for the smaller of the two sizes available.

No comments: