Monday, March 23, 2015

Elderly man who accidentally hit shopper with mobility scooter banned from every Sainsbury's

80-year-old Albert Carter has been banned from every Sainsbury's store in the country after accidentally driving his mobility scooter into a shopper. Now Albert says he has been left feeling like a criminal after receiving a letter from the supermarket chain stating police will be called if he is seen in any of its 1,200-plus stores. The incident, which happened in the firm's store in Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire, also saw Albert strike a customer service desk as he "panicked" following the collision with the female shopper. Former truck driver Albert, of Newcastle, who had gone into the store to buy a packet of cigarettes, said: "I understand that they might be concerned about me coming into the shop after what happened but I have never had an accident on it before so why would they ban me forever?"



A spokesman for Sainsbury's confirmed the ban was made after a review of the CCTV footage was carried out. Now Albert has been told he will be 'treated as a trespasser' if he attempts to do his shopping in Sainsbury's ever again. He says he has barely left his home since the incident. The father-of-three visited the store to buy a packet of cigarettes on March 7 when the incident occurred. Albert said the collision with the shopper and customer service desk was the first accident he has been involved in on his scooter. He said: "It was my fault. I take the blame completely. After I paid at the front kiosk I turned to leave and then don't know how it happened. I didn't do it on purpose but it was that quick I'm not sure how I hit the women. I was really upset that I hurt someone."

Paramedics were called to the store and the woman was taken to hospital. Albert, who needs his scooter to get around, said: "The staff and paramedics were nice at the time so I don't understand why I have been sent this letter. I have never been a shoplifter so why are they treating me like one?" The letter, which Albert received just under a week after the incident, states: "The invitation to enter and shop at all Sainsbury's stores is permanently withdrawn due to the incident you were involved in. "Should you enter any of our premises, you will be treated as a trespasser and the police will be called as necessary." It goes on to advise that Albert can appeal the decision.



Albert added: "I want to apologise to the lady. I am really upset to have hurt her. Even if I was let into Sainsbury's I'm not sure I would want to go in again after the way they treated me." A Sainsbury's spokesman said: "Our teams in store have a duty to consider the safety of all of our customers and this decision was reached after reviewing CCTV footage and other reports. We will, of course, be happy to discuss this further with Mr Carter to ensure that we maintain a safe shopping environment for everyone." A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman said: "The female patient was taken to Royal Stoke University Hospital as a precaution with injuries not thought serious."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There must be a better solution. Off the top of my head, why would the manager not offer to deliver any purchases or make an equivalent arrangement?

Banning an elderly citizen from purchasing sustenance seems like it should be illegal.

Barbwire said...

Cigarettes aren't exactly sustenance. Also, why did he drive the scooter into the store?