Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Man unhappy after discovering huge spider in his pre-packaged pulled pork sandwich

A man was horrified when he spotted a massive spider squashed into the underside of the bun on his pulled pork sandwich after already taking a bite. Chris Eastwood had bought the pulled pork wholemeal roll from a Greenhalgh’s Bakery shop on Bury Road in Bolton, Greater Manchester, and has vowed never to touch a packaged sandwich again. Family business Greenhalgh’s based in Bolton has apologised and said a full investigation has been carried out.



Chris, 29, said: “I took a bite and then for some reason looked at the bottom of the roll and the spider was baked into it. I threw up in the bin as soon as I realised. I was lucky I didn’t bite into the spider, although I don’t know if I didn’t get a bit of its legs. It makes me feel sick - spiders are my one fear that I’m scared off. I’ll never touch a pre-packaged sandwich again.” Chris, who lives in Warrington and works in Bolton, contacted Greenhalgh’s after making the horrifying discovery.



He says a member of staff came to collect the sandwich and he has since been offered a £5 Greenhalgh voucher. He said: “I thought for a reputable company to offer me £5 in vouchers is a bit of a slap in the face. It’s not even £5 in cash and I’ll never be buying from them again.” Sandra Ogden, head of retail and marketing for the bakery said: “We have carried out a full and thorough investigation, and we naturally regret that any customer has cause to be dissatisfied with any of our products and again may I repeat our deepest apologies. We maintain an extensive HACCP system which identifies major critical controls at all points.


YouTube link.

“No system is one hundred per cent foolproof. Even though we aim at 100% success rate, in excess of one million items are produced at the bakery each week and we sometimes fall short of the perfect standard. We are also regularly audited by the Environmental Health Department of Bolton Metropolitan Borough Council. It is our intention to offer products of the highest quality and where we sometimes fall short of this target, it is our normal practice to offer vouchers as a gesture of goodwill. If the customer is still dissatisfied, I can only refer him to the Bolton Environmental Health Department who may be able to assist him further.”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks more like a harvestman ("Daddy Long-Legs"). They're not spiders, but are related. They only have two eyes, though a recent fossil find shows they had four eyes in the past.

Lurker111

Anonymous said...

Until they invented laser eye surgery.

Barbwire said...

They're completely harmless.

Anonymous said...

...it's just a little extra protein!