Friday, July 15, 2016

Man arrested for using electric guitar as a weapon during attempted theft of computer

A Florida man has been charged for using an electric guitar as a weapon during an unsuccessful theft, the Broward Sheriff's Office said. Edward J. Chestnut III, 23, was arrested on Monday after trying to grab a laptop computer from Daniel Wolfe in Fort Lauderdale, according to an arrest report.



Wolfe, 55, of Oakland Park, was walking to a library when he and Chestnut got into a tug-of-war with Wolfe's computer case, the report stated. The guitar-wielding Chestnut struck Wolfe, who was trying to call for help on his cellphone. "I was on the phone with 911 when he hit me," Wolfe said.

"If I hadn't have put my arm up it would have hit me in the face." The instrument left Wolfe with a gash on his left arm that required four stitches at Holy Cross Hospital, he said. Details about the make and model of the guitar weren't released. "I just freaked out," Wolfe said, adding it's not the first time he's been attacked.


YouTube link.

"I was mugged back in November where I was in a coma for two or three days," he said. "I was going to the grocery store and I got robbed but I didn't have anything on me." Chestnut ran off but was found later at a local hotel because a bystander saw the attempted robbery. He was positively identified by the witness and Wolfe. During questioning, Chestnut confessed to the armed robbery attempt, detectives said. Bond was set at $5,000.

No comments: