Monday, October 17, 2016

Blind man refused entry to karaoke bar because his cane was against health and safety rules

A blind man says he was turned away from a Manchester karaoke bar because his cane breached health and safety regulations. Adam Wright, 27, of Sale, Cheshire, was celebrating his anniversary with fiancée Alison Gore in the city centre last month. The couple organised a baby sitter to look after their two daughters and Adam booked a room at The Midland Hotel for a special treat.

After enjoying a meal out the pair went to Orchid Lounge for some karaoke entertainment as Alison is a singer. But a bouncer told Adam he was not allowed into the bar because he was blind and his cane breached their health and safety rules. He continued to argue with the bouncer and asked to speak to management staff, who also agreed he could not go into the building.



Adam said: “It was my anniversary with my fiancée, we have got two children so it is difficult to get out. We tried to go in but the bouncer said I couldn’t go in because of my cane. He said it was against the health and safety policy. Then management came down. He sided with the bouncer and said we can’t let you in. I said I have been coming for ten years, I have been registered blind since 2010 and they have always let me in.”

“He said ‘I don’t know why you are getting offended it is for your own safety.’” Adam added: “I don’t let my disability get to me. I try to lead a normal life. I run a business, I have got my own staff. I don’t let it get in my way.” It is the second time in recent weeks Adam has been turned away from the bar, but the first time round he brushed it off as a mistake. But now Adam is planning on taking legal action for disability discrimination.

No comments: