Sunday, July 16, 2006

Music On A Sunday



The second in an occasional series of music videos from decades past. The first time I tried this, I had the lowest number of visitors I'd had for months, not that anyone could know what horrors pleasures awaited them.

I therefore remain undaunted.

Starting off with the beautiful, haunting voice and music of the late Nick Drake.

Nick Drake with River Man.

Day is Done by Nick Drake.

Unfortunately this ends abruptly, as do a few of the following videos, but that's out of my control. Anyway, from 1975, War with Low Rider.

Nanny abusing Dolores O'Riordan singing Ode to My Family with The Cranberries.

Old Town by The Corrs. I wish I could find the original Phil Lynott video, but I can't.

I did however find this short clip, with a suitably louche looking Philo strutting around Dublin. It's a pity it doesn't show the bit where he's on the the Ha'penny Bridge over the River Liffey. I've got that bit on video, but not the wherewithal to get it onto the interweb.

The Corrs with Everybody Hurts.

But I suppose there's nothing like the original. Everybody Hurts by REM.

The aforementioned late Phil Lynott performing Wild One with Thin Lizzy.

Thin Lizzy with Dancing In The Moonlight. Scott Gorham smiled at me once. That is all.

From Dagenham where ‘Bragg Close’ has been named in his honour, Billy Bragg with Between The Wars.

Now a few performances from The Old Grey Whistle Test.

From 1972, Dutch group Focus with Sylvia / Hocus-Pocus. You just don't get performances (or haircuts) like this these days.

And from 1973 The New York Dolls with Jet Boy.

Also from 1973, John Martyn performs May You Never.

With a raw live performance of the Junior Murvin classic, from the film Rude Boy, The Clash with Police And Thieves.

And here is Junior Murvin with Police And Thieves.

The Clash with London Calling.

Most of Bankrobber by The Clash. RIP Joe Strummer.

After The Clash split, bassist Paul Simonon formed a band that made one album. Here playing the famous Clash song The Guns Of Brixton are Havana 3am. I saw them in the backroom of a pub once. They were shite. Well, probably under rehearsed, to be more precise. Kept getting the songs wrong and stopping and starting again. Great drinking music, mind. These days Paul is renowned for his paintings.

The Cool Ruler himself, with a medley of songs live from Brixton Academy in 1984, Gregory Isaacs.

Another person sadly no longer with us, Dennis Emanuel Brown with Money In My Pocket. Well, some of it.

In a more dancehall stylee, Money In My Pocket by George Nooks featuring Beenie Man.

Afro Celt Sound System featuring Sinead O'Connor with Release.

Sinead O'Connor with Nothing Compares To You. Real tears at the end of this video. Allegedly.

With a short explanation at the beginning, Alison by Elvis Costello.

Co-written with Paul McCartney, a powerful song concerning Alzheimer's, Elvis Costello with Veronica.

Finally, a poignant song written for his daughter Melanie, when they were estranged, Peter Gabriel with Come Talk To Me.

Happily they were eventually reunited and some years back I was lucky enough to see Peter perform live, with Melanie as one of his backing singers. When he sang this song she stood centre stage singing every word along with him.

'Twas very emotional.

No comments: