Friday, September 08, 2006

Woman, 103, says jury duty would interrupt nap time

A regular afternoon nap normally isn't an excuse to skip jury duty, but centenarians aren't normally summoned to court either.

Phyllis Perkins, born in 1903, wrote in the reply to her jury summons she should be excluded from serving as a juror because, "jury duty might interrupt my nap time."

Lying in her bed at a Saskatoon care facility, Perkins said she had some help filling out her reply to the sheriff's office to decline her summons.

"You get to be 103 and things aren't all there. Of course, I have trouble seeing, so the kids read (the summons) and said they'd fix it up," Perkins said. "The kids asked me how I'll reply and I said (jury duty) will just cut in to my nap time."

Citizens over 65 are automatically exempt from jury duty upon request, but can attend if they desire, Gordon Laing, sheriff for Saskatoon, said.

No comments: