Saturday, February 24, 2007

Great-gran, 87, told to take off hat in pub

An 87-year-old great-grandmother was asked to remove her woolly hat in a pub because her face could not been seen by the security camera.

Annie Freeman, from Markham Avenue in Kinson, was wearing the white hat, which she had crocheted herself, because it was a cold day.

Annie Freeman

She was sipping on an orange juice and lemonade and chatting to some members of her family when the barmaid in The Goose in Aldershot asked her to remove her hat. Retired Mrs Freeman said: Maybe they thought I was a rioter, but I am a bit too old to cause trouble. I was a bit annoyed about it at the time because I did not have my hair tidy.

A spokesman for The Goose in Wellington Street, Aldershot, said: "It is our policy that all customers have to remove their headwear. It is for safety and security reasons so we can see their faces on the CCTV cameras.

"I am sure that it was a very nice hat and it seems that a member of our staff was just a little too keen," the spokesman added.

No comments: