Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Mysterious parrot attacks guest

Guest Dave Kernohan got a shock when he walked into his room in a bed-and-breakfast – he was attacked by a parrot.

"At first I thought it was an eagle! Then I thought it was a pigeon. But, when I looked at it properly and saw it was red, I realised it was a type of parrot."

Mr Kernohan said: "I closed the windows to stop it getting out, then I went down to the reception and told the manager what had happened. She asked me if I was hallucinating and, when I told her I wasn't, she sent two chefs to my room to have a look at it."



Veterinary surgeon George Cooper said the healthy bird was a Rosella Parakeet. The species originates from Australia and can live for up to 15 years.

The owner has not been traced, so the bird - nicknamed Eddie The Eagle - is now living in the stores at Scotia Helicopters, based by the airport, where workers are trying to teach him to talk.

Mr Kernohan, who comes from Crawley, said: "We are getting on really well. He is starting to develop into quite a character now, and he is learning to whistle."

No comments: