Saturday, July 07, 2007

Postman makes unexpected special delivery

A postman made an unusual delivery when he helped a woman from Cardiff give birth to a 6lb 6oz baby girl, three weeks early.

Ryan Davenport was on his post round at the house in St Mellons when pregnant Melanie Newman called for help.

Mr Davenport phoned for an ambulance, but with time running out, helped deliver baby Sophie in the hallway.

Ryan Davenport

He said: "It all happened so quickly - one minute I was delivering mail, the next minute I was delivering a baby."

The 27-year-old postman, who was helped by a neighbour, listened to advice from the ambulance service over his mobile phone during the birth.

Mr Davenport stayed with the family until the ambulance arrived, and then headed off to finish his postal round.

"I thought I was OK, but when I got to the end of the street, I realised I hadn't given Melanie her mail. So I had to go back and hand it over," he said.

No comments: