Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Gas company kills not-dead-yet woman

Nobody likes receiving bills - but one Preston grandmother couldn't believe it when a letter from British Gas arrived informing her she was dead.

To paraphrase Mark Twain, reports of Frances Tootell's death were greatly exaggerated.

Pensioner Mrs Tootell, of Gill House Avenue, got the letter just before Christmas which informed her it would be the final bill.

The letter from the energy giant went on to say: "Further bills will be directed to the executor in accordance with your instruction."

Mrs Tootell said: "It's like getting your own obituary. I have made a joke of it and I checked my pulse and thought, 'Well I'm not dead.' But it was a shock.

A spokesman for British Gas: "I am really sorry we have caused Mrs Tootell such concern."

No comments: