Thursday, January 17, 2008

Pensioner 'killed friend and confessed to his cats'

A pensioner is facing charges for the murder of his long-term friend after police recorded him allegedly confessing to his cats.

Detectives investigating the death of Joyce Sutton were looking for leads in the case when they decided to secretly install listening devices in David Henton's house and car.

They allege the 72-year-old, who denies murder, admitted to the crime during his mostly irrelevent musings to his feline companions.



Police arrested the life-long bachelor, who lives alone in Skewen, south Wales, after taping him saying: "They know I did it, see. What can I do now? I hit my Joyce. A bloody woman. Its too much, too much."

Mrs Sutton was first thought to have been battered to death in bed on Jan 11, 2006 by a burgler, Paul Lewis QC, prosecuting, told Swansea Crown Court.

But almost two weeks later, Mr Henton was recorded saying to his cats: "So, I don't know what's going on. I don't know if they can prove it or anything. What am I going to say if they find anything?" The case continues.

No comments: