Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Man and his dog locked in empty bank

A man and his trusty companion got locked in the local branch of a bank for more than an-hour-and-a-half. But he was saved after ringing telephone banking staff to say he'd "like to make a withdrawal".

Jay Whitmarsh had just picked his fourteen-month-old Labrador Sumi up from the vets when he popped into the HSBC in Swinton to pay in a cheque. He noticed it was a little darker than usual and there was no-one serving behind the counter, but he thought staff may have nipped in the back for a few minutes, so set about using one of the automatic paying in machines inside the branch.

Unknown to the salesman from Irlam o'th Height, the bank in Chorley Road which used to open on Saturdays was shut but somehow the door had been left open, leaving him free to stroll in. Unfortunately though, things weren't so easy when it came to getting out. The door had shut and locked behind him leaving Mr Whitmarsh and his dog trapped inside.



The 47-year-old dad-of-four said: "When I came to leave, the door was locked. I tried all the buttons and had a go at releasing the lock, but it wouldn't budge. "I didn't have my mobile on me to call anyone, but they have these red phones on the wall for telephone banking so I rang through and got hold of a fella called Keith Cruikshank. At first he thought I was trapped in the lobby, but I said, "no, no I'm actually in the branch."

He joked: "I said I'd like to make a withdrawal." Call centre staff took Mr Whitmarsh's details and said they'd contact the keyholder of the branch and get him out as soon as possible.

Eventually an hour and thirty five minutes later a very apologetic member of staff arrived to free him. And after the drama of his great escape, the final insult came when Jay returned to his car to find he had been given a parking ticket.

No comments: