Sunday, March 30, 2008

Attacked policeman gets £1.54 compensation after 12 years

A former police officer has been sent a compensation cheque for £1.54 - for a case that took place in December 1996.

Neil Woods could not believe his eyes when he opened the cheque from Her Majesty’s Courts Service and saw it referred to a Maidstone magistrates’ case from 12 years ago.

Mr Woods, of Hockers Lane, Detling, said: "I was absolutely flabbergasted. At the time I was serving at Maidstone Police Station and, to the best of my recollection, the compensation was ordered in respect of an assault on me.



"The irony is that I don’t even remember the attack and I actually retired from Kent Police, after 30 years service, in March 2002."

Mr Woods said aside from being amusing, it also brought up very troubling questions about the state of the courts' administration services. He said: "If I’ve received this 12 years on, it makes you wonder whether people who really need the money fare any better."

A spokesman for Her Majesty’s Court Service explained that the money was part payment of £50 compensation Mr Woods was awarded in 1996, of which £7.78 was still outstanding.

No comments: