Sunday, April 20, 2008

Guide dog barred from train ... in case it had fleas

A blind man was stranded miles from home after being prevented from boarding a train – because his guide dog "might have fleas". Mark McClenaghan, who was unable to board the sleeper from Aberdeen to Edinburgh with his dog Friday, wants an apology and compensation from rail bosses.

He had to catch a later train to Perth on Tuesday evening, and then pay out £95 for a taxi to his home in Dalry. First Scotrail is investigating his complaint. The firm says it has clear guidelines for staff and guide dogs are welcome on all trains.

Mr McClenaghan, who has a free travel pass for Scotland as he is registered blind, said: "The guard told me I couldn't get on because my dog was a health risk. It might pass on fleas, germs or mites.



"She said this was the only seated carriage on the train, and if someone was allergic or afraid of dogs, they couldn't move to another one. She even said they would have to book a deep cleaning team to clean the train afterward.

"I couldn't believe it. I said this was a guide dog, not a pet. It's certified by the Health and Safety Executive to enter any establishment as a mobility aid. I shouldn't be penalised.

"I asked to speak to the station manager, but he reiterated what the guard had said. He even questioned my disability. I'm 95 per cent blind and Friday was clearly wearing a harness. I couldn't believe the sheer ignorance."

There's a news video here.

No comments: