Friday, April 11, 2008

Now you, too, can call the dead

There's a headstone in a cemetery with more information on it than you'd think you'd need. Tucked away in a cemetery in Paramus you will find the gravesite and headstone of 60-year-old, former Manhattan attorney John Jacobs, along with something else – his cell phone number.

"I wanted to have a way to remember him," said Marion Seltzer, John's wife of 21 years. And after dialling the number, the phone service is still working.

"Hi, you've reached the voice mail of John Jacobs ... After you hear the beep leave a message and I'll return the call," is the message.



Seltzer says the phone on the stone was her idea, that it helps her stay close to John. When asked if she still calls him, Seltzer said, "I call him now. I do call him. If I'm happy, if I'm sad ... And I believe there are probably a lot of people who were very close to him who periodically call him."

She says John was buried with his cell phone, the battery fully charged, of course, making Jacobs perhaps the only lawyer in the world who wanted to hear from his clients 24/7 … for all of eternity.

So once a month Seltzer pays the $60 cell phone bill and keeps her husband alive in her heart.

With news video.

No comments: