Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Shoplifter asks for her own Asbo

A convicted shoplifter is believed to be the first person to have requested her own Asbo, (Anti-Social Behaviour Order), police have said. Twenty-year-old Tania Hall, from Birmingham, has been banned from certain roads in the city's Erdington area for the next two years.

She told the city's magistrates the anti-social behaviour order would help prevent her committing further crimes. She said being in prison over Christmas away from her family made her realise she had to stop shoplifting.

She said: "My shoplifting kept me locked up in prison over Christmas and it made me realise I didn't want to spend the next few Christmases there. "The day I got out I went to see my offending manager and asked them if there was any way of stopping going into the area.

"They said to just stop going there, but I knew that if I was allowed there it wouldn't stop me. But I knew if I was banned I could go back to jail which would stop me going back there."

She then convinced the police to help her apply for the Asbo.

Insp Nicholas Rowe said: "We believe this is the first time in the country that an individual has requested an Asbo for themselves. Ms Hall wanted to curb her own offending behaviour and have measures put in place to prevent her from entering certain areas where she has previously committed crime. We hope the order will help her to steer clear of crime."

With news video.

No comments: