Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Crowing alarm clock sparks council probe

Billy Verity made sure he was up with the birds each day - with a novelty cockerel alarm clock.

But Billy, 68, fell fowl of neighbours who thought he had chickens in his sheltered accommodation flat and told the council.

After two officials visited while he was out, the retired busman, of Nelson, Lancs, phoned his town hall.


Photo from here.

He said: "I was asked if I kept poultry as people had reported crowing noises. I thought it was a joke."

Billy, who keeps chickens on an allotment four miles away, explained: "I sleep with the window open and it goes off five times before I switch it off, so it would sound realistic."

Council housing boss Ian Clark said they took complaints seriously but said: "Having followed it up, we're satisfied it's unsubstantiated."

No comments: