Friday, August 22, 2008

Sting is top of the misheard pop charts

Sting and The Police have come top of the charts again, for writing the most misheard pop lyrics of all time.

Message in a Bottle, the band's 1979 hit has the line: "A year has passed since I wrote my note", but fans regularly mishear it as "A year has passed since I broke my nose."

The lyrics from his 1980 song "When The World Is Running Down" came top of the list.

"You make the best of what's still around" is a line regularly misheard as "You make the best homemade stew around."


Graphic from here. Click for bigger.

The chart reads:

1) The Police – When The World Is Running Down

Misheard: "You make the best homemade stew around."

Actual: "You make the best of what's still around."

2) Bee Gees – Stayin' Alive

Misheard: "It's alright. It's okay. You make love the other way."

Actual: "It's alright. It's okay. You may look the other way."

3) The Beatles – Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds

Misheard: "The girl with colitis goes by."

Actual: "The girl with kaleidoscope eyes."

4) U2 – Mysterious Ways

Misheard: Shamu the mysterious whale

Real Lyric She moves in mysterious ways

5) The Beatles – Michelle

Misheard: "Michelle ma belle, some say monkeys play piano well, play piano well.

Actual: Michelle ma belle, sont des mots qui vont tres bien ensemble, tres bien ensemble.

6) Queen – Bohemian Rhapsody

Misheard "Scallaboosh, Scallaboosh, will you do the banned tango"

Actual: "Scaramouche, scaramouche, will you do the Fandango"

7) The Police – Message In A Bottle

Misheard: "A year has passed since I broke my nose."

Actual: "A year has passed since I wrote my note."

8) David Bowie – Changes

Misheard: "Strange vaccinations are killing me."

Actual: "Strange fascination fascinating me."

9) Oasis – Wonderwall

Misheard: "You're gonna be the one at Sainsbury's"

Original Lyrics: "You're gonna be the one that saves me"

10) Kate Bush – Wuthering Heights

Misheard: Healthcliff! "It's me; I'm a tree, I'm a wombat. Oh, so cold at the end of your winter"

Actual: "Heathcliff! It's me, Cathy and I've come home oh, so cold, let me in-a your window"

No comments: