Monday, October 13, 2008

Young boy given £50 fine for dropping bottle while being sick

Bradley Brooks felt ill as he was walking home from a birthday party and put down the drinks bottle he was carrying while he vomited. But community wardens pounced on the 12-year-old and fined him, claiming he had left the bottle on a green telephone exchange box as litter.

Bradley, from Grimsby, Lincs, said: "I was sick on the road and then the wardens stopped me further on. I had sick on the bottle so I put it on top of what I thought was a bin. Then the wardens stopped me.

"I thought they were going to ask me if I needed any help but instead they fined me and kept me there for half an hour while they told me I would be fined or have to do community service."

A spokesman for North East Lincolnshire Council said: "Our community wardens acted properly in this case. They saw Bradley put down his bottle and walk a considerable distance before they approached him. At that point he said he felt a bit sick but there was no sign of any illness.

"Bradley has been offered the chance to take part in a litter-pick and environmental education day in lieu of a £50 fine. There is a very effective appeals process should his family wish to take the case to court."

Bradley's mother, Sarah Tuson, said: "It's a disgrace. I haven't brought my kids up to litter and to pick on a sick child is not acceptable. These people get paid good money to represent our community and all they do is pick on a decent lad who wasn't very well. He couldn't find a bin, so he put it on top of the box. He was terrified."

No comments: