Friday, December 12, 2008

Live rabbit dumped in bin

A student got the shock of his life when he found a live rabbit dumped in his bin. The poor creature had been thrown in the rubbish and was just an hour away from being crushed in a refuse wagon.

Luckily Joshua Marks decided to check inside the wheelie bin and spotted the fluffy rabbit, dubbed Dusty, saving him from certain death.

He said: “I woke up and took the bins out and just had a quick check to make sure it was full. I opened the bin and thought it was a massive rat. I went to take another peek and noticed it was a rabbit.



“I was just shocked. I assume someone had put it in there. It was quite a cute rabbit. They empty the bin that morning so it would have been about an hour later when the bin men arrived. It might have got crushed. I phoned the RSPCA straight away.”

RSPCA Inspector Graham Hammond arrived to take Dusty to safety. He said: “It is very lucky this rabbit was spotted when he was as he could easily have been suffocated in the rubbish or crushed in the jaws of the refuse lorry.

“There is never any excuse for abandoning an animal and I would urge anyone who recognises this rabbit to contact us.”

No comments: