Monday, February 16, 2009

Jesus found on crisp

Brian and Linda “Lyn” Hershey have one potato chip that won’t get eaten any time soon. It has a likeness of Jesus Christ cooked into its surface. Brian was poised to chomp down on the chip two weeks ago when his wife stopped him with a shriek.

“She just screamed, ‘Don’t eat that!’ and I thought, ‘What the heck.’ I was just eating my dinner,” Brian says.

Sitting across from him at a table in C R Bucks restaurant in Chambersburg, Lyn spotted the Christ-like image just in time to preserve it. “I don’t know if it was the way the light was shining or what, but I just looked over as he was about to pop it in his mouth, and I could see it clearly,” she recalls. Brian says, “We don’t usually look for Jesus in our food, but it’s there.”



The image of Christ is obvious to nearly everyone who looks, says the couple, who live in Shippensburg.

On the chip, the image is a head-and-shoulders view, with the head slightly inclined and Christ’s hair and robed shoulder in outline. The couple stashed the iconic morsel in a foam dish with a clear plastic lid and say they plan to keep it.

Both Lyn and Brian think there may be some spiritual meaning attached to the chip. “We both just accepted Jesus in the last six months, so I think it’s a sign that we’re doing the right thing,” Lyn says.

No comments: