Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Animal Park unveils tartan sheep

A Scottish animal farm has come up with a novel way to celebrate next week’s Tartan Week – by unveiling the country’s first ever tartan sheep.

The wacky idea has been dreamt up by the East Lothian farm’s owner Grant Bell who hopes the spectacle will entice more visitors to his farm

As people throughout the world celebrate all things Scottish, a piper will lead the flock of the tartan sheep around the popular East Links Family Park attraction.



Grant said: “I was asked by the local council to get involved in Tartan Week last year and I was delighted to participate again this year.

“The sheep are a great attraction for the public and are the talking point of the area. I’ve been in touch with the local vets and they are fine with it all because we use non-toxic paints.”

He joked: “I’ve been telling all the kids that come to the farm that I have connections with the Clan McHaver and I’ve managed to get a few of these rare sheep sent down from the Highlands. I tell them the lambs are actually born a light shade of blue and don’t become fully tartan until they are around one year old.”

No comments: