Monday, April 06, 2009

Treatment helps woman eat again

Glenys Watkins was faced with never tasting food again after a fall at home in Dyserth, near Rhyl, left her unable to swallow.

But now the 64-year-old is tucking into her favourite chips after becoming one of the first in the UK to undergo an innovative treatment.

'Vital Stim' therapy using tiny electrical currents helped stimulate her swallow muscles.



Her consultant now wants to see the technique evaluated for the NHS.

"It's transformed my life, even saved my life," said Ms Watkins, who was a history and special needs teacher for 35 years.

"It's brought back my life again, I don't go out a lot but I can do now, if I want, go out for a meal, eat and drink in company, it's made family life so much better as well."

Full story here.

No comments: