Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Man accidently kills wife with chainsaw

Investigators say Deb Daniels was likely trying to help her husband roll a log out of the way when the chainsaw he was using accidentally cut her neck. "Autopsy results and the husband's story are consistent," says Allegan County Sheriff's Lt. Frank Baker.

Baker says Jerry Daniels was cutting a log at the couple's Otsego home, 765 Woodlea Drive in Otsego, on Sunday afternoon when his wife came up behind him.

Lt. Baker says Jerry would not have heard his wife, who likely kneeled down to help him roll the cut log away.



When he pulled the saw from the log it came back and caught Deb in the neck, according to Baker.

"I heard a cry for help, so I came outside and at that time I saw what was going on, and I rendered as much aid as I possibly could," said David Labonte, a neighbour and deputy for the Allegan County Sheriff's Department. "I'm glad that based on my position that I was the one that was the first to respond."

But nothing could help the 39-year-old woman. She bled to death at the scene. Investigators have ruled the incident as accidental.

No comments: