Saturday, May 16, 2009

Musician told to 'avoid metal music' after three cardiac arrests

A musician with a heart defect has been warned his passion for extremely loud thrash metal could put his life in danger after he suffered three cardiac arrests in one day. Ryan Spearman, bass player with the Gnar Dogs, based in Barnstaple, was rushed to North Devon District Hospital, where he went into a coma.

Medics, who cannot name Mr Spearman's condition, have warned the 24-year-old to avoid loud, amplified music, energetic moshing and heavy riffing, in case the excitement brings on another - possibly lethal - attack. In addition, it is feared the powerful electromagnets in the band's amplifiers could interfere with his pacemaker.

Mr Spearman, who suffered the cardiac arrests at home with his fiancee, said: "I don't remember the first week-and-a-half I spent in hospital; it's all a big blur. It came as a bit of a shock to me because I've never had any problems like that in the past although doctors have since told me that my family does have a history of heart problems."



He spent the following six weeks in hospital under observation and was fitted with a pacemaker to keep his heartbeat regular. But Mr Spearman, who has been playing bass, guitar and drums for the past eight years, said: "Not playing music again was not an option."

Since then he has learned to live with his condition and is now studying for a foundation degree in Music Practice at North Devon College. As part of his college course he has organised a benefit gig for the British Heart Foundation called Thrash For Cash, with his band topping the bill.

He said: "This will be the first proper gig I've played since the pacemaker was fitted. I'm not worried at all. Having said that, if I do drop tools and head for the door you'll know what's happened - but I'm sure it'll be fine."

No comments: