Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Quarter-tonne woman surprises doctors with birth of a healthy baby

A quarter-tonne woman has surpised doctors by giving birth to a healthy baby boy. The 34-year-old mother, who weighs 39st 5lb and was identified only as Nonna M, gave birth to a boy weighing 4lb 6oz (2kg) after doctors artificially induced labour when she began to feel unwell.

The woman, who suffered from a hormonal disorder, said that her pregnancy had come as a shock after 16 years of trying to conceive. Doctors had advised her to have an abortion because of risks to her health associated with her weight, but she chose to continue with the pregnancy.

“I didn’t realise at first that I was pregnant,” she said. “I always felt very uncomfortable because of the disorder, so I didn’t pay any attention to the changes that were happening to me.”

The woman, who works for a tobacco company, first thought that she might be pregnant when she felt sick after lighting a cigarette. “I’ve never had such a reaction to cigarette smoke. My friends told me at once that I was probably pregnant.”

Moscow’s chief gynaecologist, Mark Kurtzer, oversaw the birth personally. Irina Osadcheva, deputy head of a maternity clinic in Moscow, said that “as a rule women over 150kg have such severe hormonal irregularities they simply can’t get pregnant”.

Renee Williams, an American from Austin, Texas, weighed 35st when she gave birth to the second of her two daughters in 1999. She was almost 70st when she underwent a gastric bypass operation to try to reduce her weight in 2007, aged 29, and died 12 days later of heart failure.

No comments: