Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Village seeks male carnival queen

A tiny village in Cornwall is looking for a carnival queen with a difference. Sticker has a population of just over 1,000 and most of them are men. None of local women wanted the job so the carnival organisers have opted for a drag queen.

Malcolm Vian, chair of the Sticker Village Association, said: "This all started at a meeting when I said I think we were going to have trouble finding a queen.

"I'd seen this problem in other villages and I was right. The queen is meant to represent the village and there was no one around to volunteer.

"Someone suggested we would do it differently this year but I think originally we thought it would be an older person. Then a drag queen was suggested and it snowballed."

Mr Vian said eventually two 16-year-old girls volunteered for the position but they were from outside the village and were deemed ineligible.

Mr Vian said: "Carnivals are meant to be a bit of fun and, I think you'll agree, this is a bit of fun. We're holding auditions at the local pub in June and I already know there are three or four men who want to do it - and I'm not one of them!"

No comments: